The 7 Things You Need To Know Before You Buy a Lake Lanier Property
If you’re considering a purchase of a Lake Lanier property, we’d like to share a few helpful tips with you before you buy, to make sure you’re well informed and prepared for the process of searching through Lake Lanier homes and lots. I’m Teresa Smith, and along with a dedicated team of real-estate pros, we’re here to guide you along every step of the process. With any real estate transaction, there are always the finer points of closing costs, inspections, and other negotiations and considerations, but with lake property, you’ve got the added elements of living on the water.
Indeed, owning a dream home on the water is within your reach, but it helps to have a knowledgeable, responsive lake agent by your side to help navigate the particular intricacies of buying, selling, and owning lake properties. Our Living on Lake Lanier team will carefully listen to your hopes and dreams, and help guide you to the best Lake Lanier property for you and your family.
We hope this helpful guide to living on the lake will help get you started!
7 Tips for Buying Lake Lanier Property
As I mentioned above, there are some particular issues that arise with purchasing and owning lakefront homes that simply don’t exist with other real estate.
As a full-time resident of the lake myself, I have a solid grasp of these issues thanks to both professional and personal experiences. Plus, our team of seasoned agents is also focused exclusively on Lake Lanier property, meaning that we’ve always got our finger on the pulse of the market and the latest trends and hot neighborhoods.
With an area spanning over 5 counties and hundreds of miles of coastline, you’ll really appreciate having the local knowledge we can bring to the table as you search for that perfect lake house. That being said, here are a few tips and recommendations to help you along in the process.
- Hire a real estate agent who understands the lake market. Besides having access to great listings, make sure your realtor has in-depth knowledge of the layout of the lake and various neighborhoods and coves.
- Don’t buy just for the house alone. Whether you’re moving to the lake fulltime, or just want a getaway from the big city, you’ll want more than just another nice house. Of course, amenities and updates are crucial, but make sure you’re looking into other aspects of the property, such as dock access, water depth, and surrounding lots.
- Don’t be scared to ask questions and tell us what you want! My team and I take great pride in providing excellent service to our clients, and that begins with an open ear. Please feel free to communicate early and often about exactly what you’re looking for in a Lake Lanier property and don’t settle for anything just because it’s on the lake and seems like a deal.
- Get educated about the local rules and regulations. Will you be able to build a dock easily? Is your dock access restricted in any way? Do you have a grandfathered patio or porch on the shoreline? What about HOA or Corps of Engineers rules that might hinder plans or ideas you’ve got for the property.?
- Look beyond your lot. Having a great lot and house is certainly the main focus, but it’s great to scope out the surrounding neighbors and also find out what services and marinas are close by. Will you be able to bring in a boat easily? Are there any restrictions on boat activity?
- Check on utilities and services. This isn’t the big city! That’s great for peace and quiet, but make sure you understand the differences when it comes to things like access to electricity, water, sewage, and waste pickup services in your prospective neighborhood. Especially make sure you research this if you’re looking at buying an empty or undeveloped lot. We’ll be there to help answer all of these questions too!
- Don’t be scared to ask your potential agent for testimonials and references. Also, ask the neighborhood! If you’re ready to choose an agent, you should expect the best service and results. And if you’re not sure about an area, a quick chat with potential neighbors can either put your mind at ease or help you steer clear!
So as you can see, while some aspects are the same, purchasing lakefront property does present some unique challenges and items to consider. We here at Living on Lake Lanier are ready and able to assist you with all of these, and hope to work with you soon on your quest for a dream lake getaway. Get in touch today, and feel free to inquire about testimonials from our many past satisfied clients.